Each version of Excelsior JET goes through three lifecycle stages:
- Current Offering
- Begins on the date of the first commercial shipment of the given version, and lasts until the next version becomes the Current Offering. Only the Current Offering is, well, offered for evaluation and purchase.
- End of Sales
- Entered when a newer version becomes generally available. All versions that are in the End of Sales stage are fully supported, but are unavailable for purchase and may not get public updates anymore until very late in this stage.
- End of Life
- Two years after the first commercial shipment*, a version goes into the End of Life stage. Versions that are past their End of Life date are not supported, but public updates remain available for download indefinitely.
* You can find the shipment dates for all Excelsior JET versions in the changelog.
If we have released a newer version during your 90-days evaluation period and you do not want to switch over immediately, let us know at the time of purchase, and we will provide you with a copy of the version that you've evaluated.
Java Version Updates
Previous versions of Excelsior JET included commercially licensed code of the Oracle's implementation of the Java SE standard library. Their update schedules were therefore synced with the Oracle Java update schedule.
However, from version 15.3 onwards Excelsior JET includes the OpenJDK implementation of the Java SE API, as a direct consequence of the change to the Oracle Java business model. Oracle is expected to commit the changes it releases as public updates into OpenJDK, but there is no guarantee that the community will maintain any particular version of OpenJDK.
Public Excelsior JET Updates
A Maintenance Pack is a cumulative update that contains bug fixes and minor improvements, and may also include support for a recent Oracle's Java Technology update. Maintenance Packs are available at no additional cost to all users of the respective Excelsior JET versions at all times.
Available Support Levels view as a matrix
Free Support Services
Access to online self-help tools: tutorials, Knowledge Base, discussion forums, is free. We also gladly accept defect reports from all users. Finally, owners of valid product licenses may always download all public updates for the version(s) they had purchased.
This is the only option for the Standard Edition, which was set free in the end of August 2016. Additional support services for the Professional and Enterprise Editions require purchase of an annual Support Contract.
Commercial Excelsior JET licenses come with a bundled Support Contract, entitling you to receive technical support and product upgrades for one year. Upon Support Contract expiration, you will only have access to the free services.
Excelsior JET Basic Support offers the following benefits:
- unlimited email support
- defect report registration
- access to Maintenance Packs (cumulative updates including all previously issued hotfixes) and add-ons
- access to new product versions
- one named customer contact per support certificate
Excelsior JET Standard Support offers all benefits of Basic Support plus the following:
- access to all software patches (hotfixes)
- guaranteed response time: 1 business day
Excelsior JET Premium Support is a comprehensive support option that includes all benefits of Standard Support and offers the following additional privileges:
- highest priority of support service
- remote debugging of issues that may not be reproduced in our labs
- escalation of severe issues to a Senior Staff Engineer or CTO
- additional customer contact
End of Life
A Support Contract for a particular version of Excelsior JET is only valid until that version enters the End Of Life stage, which happens two years after the initial ship date. To continue receiving services under your Support Contract, you have to switch to a more recent product version.
If you elect to continue using a version of Excelsior JET after its End Of Life, you may still receive some support services on a consultancy basis, at our sole discretion.if (FALSE) : ?>
If you encounter a defect in Excelsior JET, our engineers may ask you to provide the bytecode of an application exhibiting the problem, so that they could reproduce it in our lab. A respective non-disclosure agreement(s) may be signed upon your request.endif; ?>
Support Contract Renewal Policy
A renewed Support Contract commences from the expiration of the previous support period, regardless of when the renewal was purchased. If you miss the renewal date by more than one year, you have to pay for the upgrade to the latest version.
Support Levels Matrix
|Access to self-help tools||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|Access to Maintenance Packs||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|Access to new product versions||✔||✔||✔|
|Access to hotfixes||✔||✔|
|Defect report registration||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|Answers to technical questions||✔||✔||✔|
|Guaranteed response time||✔||✔|
|Escalation up to the CTO level||✔|
|Number of customer contacts||-||1||1||2|